Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stewardship Sunday

I finally feel like I've really been getting at my 'hope-to-accomplish' list (NOT my 'to-do' list :), after just updating it in May, I already have several more items to scratch off!

Stewardship of My Finances
Pretty much the same.

Stewardship of My Home
5. Schedule a small Fly Lady tactic every day
I may need to step this up a little, but I haven't had to tidy my living room or clean off my dining room table in about 2 months! So I'm happy!
 6.Establish a list of at least 60 staple recipes and rotate in a 12 month menu
Well, I finally have all my recipes sorted, entered them into my blog Recipedia, and I actually have more like 80 meals. I have sorted them into a spreadsheet by meat ingredient (as well as recipes, including sidedish and flavor type, so as to rotate those as well), and now that I've done my Costco shop I am half way to preparing/cooking them all and placing them in my new standup freezer according to meat.
I then intend to fasten a lamenated (in other words, re-usable) recipe name and list of ingredients to each bag/container of meat in my freezer, and then intend to pull up one of each meat type up into the upstairs freezer/fridge for the upcoming week's meals. How freakishly organized am I! Geeky girl strikes again.
7. Make as much food from scratch as possible to avoid unnecessary preservatives & packaging
And I'll cost to that list! I can't believe how much we are spending on groceries these days! I have looked at some of the things we spend the most on and am trying to find ways to make those items from scratch or something.
First thing I did, bought a turkey in July. No where near any typical turkey holidays, I intend to stick it in my roaster and relish in all the ways I can save money on all the poultry we eat. It was about a 12 pounder, and it didn't even cost all that much, about the same as 2 pre-sliced turkey packs we buy, they are like $13 each!! No More! I'll slice my whole turkey for the turkey melts we're addicted to lately. I will make the small bits I am good at scraping off a carcass (and use the carcass itself) for soups/stews....which goes a long way! And then I can substitute turkey in some chicken recipes, save money on the skinless, boneless chicken we buy (that's the only kind we buy).
Second thing I intend to try, homemade granola bars. I've done homemade granola and have a recipe I love, but hubby is buying granola bars for breakfasts and mid-day snacks, going through like 3-4 boxes a week, again that's about $9-15 per week depending on any sales. I could make that for a few dollars! Hopefully trying this out soon.

Stewardship of My Body
Pretty much the same, although I do have great intentions about starting weights and yoga again, AND I want to try to start running, see if I can build up to a decent 5 K so I know if I can do a decent 10 K next Manitoba Marathon. I think I need to try on my treadmill first though, could only run 15 min. on cement. That's still 13 more minutes than before my sketchers.

Stewardship of My Earth
15. Grow my own vegetables.
I should have some to eat in a few weeks, I've seen the first marble-sized tomatoes develop. I think I could have baby carrots and potatoes now if I wanted :) Hopefully will squeeze in my first Farmer's Market trip this next week to fill the gap until I have my own locally produced produce.

16. Have a 100 mile meal once a month.
Ack! I still haven't done this, even though the Farmer's Market has been open one month! Even though I found out about an awesome store near-ish work that has all Manitoba produced food, that is fairly decently priced. Even though I added to my recipe list which meals I could easily turn into Manitoba made! We had our first 100mm, this week, mmmm, homemade perogies.
17. Use organic/natural herbicides
Found one, at Costco of course. However, due to 'don't spray before rain' I haven't had the free time to use it on days it will be dry shortly after. So, manual weed pulling is organic, isn't it! And builds muscle! 18. Find 3 more ‘One Million Acts of Green’ I can try
I've been doing fairly well at shutting my computer down just about every night. I've been also working hard at using water pouring from the tap for shorter periods of time, or multi-tasking with it. I haven't air-dried clothes yet though...hasn't been all that dry outside in our province lately.

Stewardship of My Talents/Purpose
Pretty much the same although I did fit in another creation and finished that bracelet I mentioned last time.

Stewardship of My Communities
25. Volunteer to help someone with something they can’t do for themselves
We have become friends with a couple at Church who don't have a vehicle so we've offered them rides to and/or from Church a few times. Car Karma we call it, as when we were carless we appreciated rides SO much!
26. Babysit one or some of my nieces/nephew(s)
~Took the girls, Brooklynn and Avery for a few hours one Saturday afternoon in early May
~Babysat Teigon June 23rd
27. Organize/host at least one gathering of friends every other month
Have had 3 outings/gatherings with friends that I've either instigated or hosted.

Stewardship of My Growth
Pretty much the same other than...
35. Keep up prayer journal and bible study blog
The actual documentation part of praying and reading my Bible hasn't happened so much, but I have been praying and reading more consistently. Well, not really reading...listening to my NT CDs in the car :) Started the NT in one year reading plan, and even though not fully following plan, I am in Acts now.

Stewardship of Living My Life
Pretty much the same other than...
38. Go to at least one Folklorama pavilion
Plans in the works for another girls day/night out (my mom and sisters) this year on the same day we did it last year, Monday of August long. Since my hubby works and one of my BIL's, Kellin, has a retreat that week, it's perfect timing for us to spend a day together and I thought this year we could do the African pavilion, which is supposed to be one of the best, and will give us a taste of what Tami & Kellin experienced in their trip to Africa a few years ago.
39. Go out on the town by myself
I intend to have a spa night soon, very soon!

I'm really lovin' this kind of list, feeling very accomplished yet not stressed :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...