Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It ain't heavy, it's my broth

Homemade broth is something I never contemplated making in my goal to eliminate processed foods, but after a friend pointed out all the ingredient items on a package of bought buillion AND posted a recipe on how easy it is I just had to try it for myself.  My first time around turned out not so flavorful but I'm really happy with the batch I made last night.  Even hubby noticed the aroma and asked for some chicken soup :)

So here is my friend's post, and here is what I did:
1. For months after I read this post the first time, I saved/froze snippets from veggies that I wouldn't eat in my meal but would be great for broth making, so; pepper cores & seeds, tomato cores & seeds, onion ends and skin, asparagus ends, carrot tops, potato/sweet potato nubbies that didn't look appetizing, etc.
2. Bought a roasted chicken (the hot rotissirie kind), stripped it of all it's meat for some suppers, put everything else in a big pot with the frozen veggies. And I mean EVERYTHING else, including the string, after tasting a bit of it accidently (and really wanting to suck on the whole string *blush*) I figured I'm going to use up all the chicken juice even from that!
3. Added several cloves of garlic, oregano leaves I had froze from my garden last year, freeze dried herbs such as basil, parsley and green onions, as well as some fresh ground pepper (as I used the last of my peppercorns in that mill and didn't want to remove them, I know, lazy).

4. I then covered it all with about 5 cups of cold water, brought it to a slight boil on 4 (out of 10 on my element), then turned it down to 2 and simmered for 3 hours.
5. I don't have cheese cloth on hand so I used coffee filters, since we get them for free with our coffee ordered at work by the truck load, sat them in a funnel and got every last morsel of yummy broth juice out of the pot contents.
6. Now I have 5 cups of broth, tucked away in the freezer, for the next time I want to make something with broth and I don't have to touch my OXO :) Easy peasy! Thanks to Lori (she's the original Lori, although I wasn't named after her she was here before me and has been a great Lori mentor :)

By the way, here is a great place/blog to check out more homemaking and house-wifery!

1 comment:

Lori Klassen said...

Hooray! I love that you made your own broth! And I love that you were fearless doing so! I love that I inspired you and that you said so many lovely things about me. You made my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...