Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rays of Hope

So, today was the day I've long awaited, the day I hoped to have the right people ask the right questions and start a journey of getting some answers, which all happened, but what made me even happier was that a treatment plan was already put in place today. I will be starting treatments this Thursday already!
The doctor said it sounds like my ovulation happens at a different time every month so he's going to put me on a drug that regulates that, which is what I start taking Thursday. They are in the mean time also doing routine blood tests for hormone levels, some tomorrow and some in 3 weeks, partly to see what kind of hormones levels I have and partly to see if I did in fact ovulate due to this drug. The doctor also said that insulin levels can affect ovulation and so he gave me a drug that regulates that as well. It's actually a drug that treats diabetics, and so he said it may also help me lose weight, which will also increase my chances of ovulating normally. He said the reason weight can affect fertility is because the more you weigh the more estrogen your body produces and so when it comes time to ovulate it thinks it doesn't need to produce the extra estrogen to release the egg because your body has enough, and an egg doesn't get released or it delays the release. He said I should still have an exercise and nutrition program (which I do :) at the same time to work with these drugs. Of course they are doing a few other things just to rule stuff out, like Sean is being tested, and an x-ray of my uterus will be done in about a month, and possibly more depending on my blood tests and whether I ovulate this month. He gave us a flow chart of how the testing process works, showing what results to lead to which courses of action, treatment wise or further testing. It sounds simple enough for the moment, and Sean is willing, and it doesn't feel like we're manipulating nature too much. I haven't got the prescriptions yet since I can't start them until Thursday anyway, so we'll see how much they cost us. I guess that will factor into how long we try this plan of treatment. The doctor said the insulin regulator alone helps a lot of women, so depending on cost we might stick with just that.....I'm crossing my fingers it helps with my weight too, that would be nice : ) So, that's what we know, and it sounds hopeful. Thanks everyone for their thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

yay! It sounds like you got what you were hoping for. You guys will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...