Monday, January 14, 2013

Musical Monday

I grew up somewhat resenting singing hymns when there were songs so much more upbeat and feeling like I was actually praising God.  Then I just happened to spend a lot of time in Churches that sang modern worship music (or I wasn't in Church at all), and so I didn't realize one day how I had grown out of the immature point of view. Sure, I enjoyed hymns with a makeover, but sometime this last year I noticed how much I really love when we sing hymns, even just as they are. Now they feel nostalgic (especially when we seemed to sing a lot of them at the time of my mom's heart attack), but I started connecting with the words on such a deep level.

Yesterday was an all hymns Sunday, and I just wanted to share the phrases that especially stir my heart, that make my soul sing.

What ever my lot you have taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus....
Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow.

Lord, now indeed I find
Thy power and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots
And melt the heart of stone.
Jesus paid it all
All to him I owe.

Let all things their Creator bless,
And worship Him in humbleness,
O praise Him! Alleluia!

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art....
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed:
Then sings my soul...How great thou art!
When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...