Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fruit of the Lori

Just wanted to give a little accountability update on my labors of fruitfulness.

Health. Well, my appetite has returned however at least my exercise schedule has remained intact, at least 2 times per week I exercise for a total of at least 1.5 hrs a week. I have kicked up my treadmill workout a few notches by starting to jog again and I've been gradually extending my length and speed at which I am running and am feeling very good about my dedication to this. I am currently running (as of today) for 30 min. straight anywhere from 5 to 6.5 km per hour. Now to get my sugar eating back on track, I've had way too much available for my own good and it's time to make a goal for how much I should eat/not eat, regardless of it's availability. Another thing I've let slide a little is my vitamins. I'm going to start a tracker again to better monitor and remind me of my goals vs. my choices.

Self discovery. I'm pleased to say I've actually kept up my creative journalling this time around, I've made several entries aimed at being creative as well as expressing and examining myself. I've extended this into my blogging as well, currently I'm mostly soaking up inspiration from other blogs, but have dabbled in a few different creative expressions in my blogging and am working on more posts to that end. I really like how I'm able to get perspective in these exercises, finding ways to validate my strengths, see my previously perceived weaknesses in a new light, and realizing who I want to become and acting on it. I worried that this endeavor might make me a little self-absorbed but I find it is actually doing the opposite. Becoming increasingly more aware of my purpose is in turn connecting me to others because, of course, generally speaking our purpose is designed to be outward reaching, not inward.

Self discipline. This has been permeating other areas of my life, thanks to a great conversation on 'earthly vs. heavenly rewards' (thanks Tammi!), and so I think of it while running (don't run to cancel calories, or justify calories based on my workout), while discovering my purpose (I'm not always going to like who I'm called to love and how), and of course, trying to build on a foundation of self-discipline while shaping the person I believe I'm supposed to become. In the area of my more tangible goal, I have successfully kept up to date on my daily Bible readings on Facebook, even though it hasn't been daily, I get caught up weekly at least. This is probably the most successful attempt at reading through the Bible since it was an assignment in Bible college!

January has been an amazing month, growth-wise, I couldn't be more blessed with the fruit that has been produced, not just in me but I see it in Sean as well. God is good! I still see so much work to be done, I have so many things I want to add to this list, but I think I want to wait until I have been even more successful for an even longer period of time before I commit myself to focus on more self improvements, to ensure these are becoming habits I keep and don't just fall by the wayside once I concentrate on additional things. No resting on any laurels for me!

I will, however, still be working on some of those things, just not committing my focus to them, because I obviously see a reason I no longer want to be that way anymore. One small step I wanted to mention is a media fast, so you won't see me here or on Facebook until the 15th (other than a small, pre-scheduled post for Valentine's day). Not that some of you might notice, since I'm not the most regular blogger :) but figured I'd give a heads up.

1 comment:

tammi said...

Sounds like pretty good progress all around! Man, that dang self-discipline is such a hard one, eh? At least, developing it in an all-encompassing fashion is for me. I can be doing well in one or more areas, but simply being an all-around self-disciplined person is much more difficult!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...