Thursday, October 18, 2007

Molehill or Mountain

In theory, I love the idea of being a minimalist. I think trying to do with the basics is an honorable goal, leading a simpler life takes the focus away from us and frees up our time for what God wants for us. I don't need to keep up with the Jones', we're fine with one vehicle, we don't need the huge home theater, or most up to date computers, and I think more than sufficient space would be around 2000 sq ft (including basement). Right now our home is just over 1000 sq ft with no basement. It should be enough for two people, but when one of those people is a 'collector' it is challenging.
The trouble is I was born of two pack rats. I have this need to collect! First, there is the 'just in case' collecting - don't throw that out just in case I need it or can make it useful. I am getting this obession a little more under control. I will go through things every few years and if I haven't needed it or thought of how to make it useful, I will get rid of it. Sean thinks this should be more often than every few years, but that is all I'm comfortable with at this point. He is a REAL minimalist.
Then there is my 'it makes me feel good' collecting. My 'feel good' collecting is what really makes 1000 sq ft inadequate. For example, I have our spare bedroom as a guest room, and not just a bed thrown in a storage room but a pretty, homey guest room. I've collected a pretty bed and pretty decor because decorating makes me feel good, and having my guests feel 'at home' makes me feel good. Unfortunately, we've only had one guest stay in 2 years (others were invited, it just never worked out). Then there is all my crafting supplies and scrapbooks. I love creating and colorful crafts, but it also makes me feel good giving people personalized cards and making memories more than just a photo. Unfortunately, our dining room already also functions as an office with a computer for each of us, a little bit of storage and then ALL my craft stuff. It's an unattractive, cluttered mess. Then there's the kitchen. I really do love to cook and bake, and not only so I can eat the feel good food, but it also makes me feel good to be able to create food for other people to enjoy as well. I have collected so many fun appliances (even an Icecream Maker!) back when I had a big kitchen but now I don't even have room for my crock pot, my collection of toys is just collecting dust in a closet. I even had to turn down a free dishwasher because there is absolutely no room! I would love to host a dinner party, another feel good activity I haven't done in about 3 years because of my cluttered and cramped home.
So, would being a minimalist solve my problems? Does being a minimalist mean I give up on my 'feel good' activities? I just don't think that's a sacrifice I want to make. I also don't think God would want me to sacrifice my creativity and hospitality, things I believe He uses, just for the sake of simplicity. Of course buying a new house is not very appealing either, not in our market at the moment. Maybe I just need Clean Sweep! They always have amazing furniture that hides everything away and have terrific organizational skills. Anyone want to nominate me???

2 comments:

Pamela said...

I guess this isn't a good time to tell you that I was just at Dollarama in KP and they have a new collection of brads (like the new jewel ones from stampin up!):)

flylady.net is a huge inspiration to me and you might find some useful tips there.

~L~ said...

Thanks, I'm still needing ideas. I just googled 'organizing for small places' and found many good ideas, many will cost some moula we don't have though.
And guess what, I went to the same Dollorama right after you told me they have good crafting stuff and saw those, I bought a package in every color they had! lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...