Thursday, October 25, 2007

70s, 80s, & 90s

I was tagged by Pam to do this....

10 years ago today (1997):
I had just recently moved away from Langside Street, one of the worst areas of Winnipeg at that time, much to the relief of those who cared about me. I also just recently started a part time job at Black's Photography in Polo Park shopping center, which I loved, renenwing my passion for photography. I learned a lot about the new high tech camera just coming out at that time, called the digital camera. They were huge and only had about 256 kb of memory. Through a co-worker of my boyfriend at the time we purchased two Siamese kittens, Sony and China and I fell in love with the Siamese breed, going on to eventually breed them myself, and I still own one to this day.

20 years ago today (1987):
I just started grade 5 at my still fairly new school, as only 7 months earlier we had moved to Steinbach from Edmonton. I was learning a lot about being in a small town, like being new made you popular, but once the new wore off so did the popularity. I was vainly attempting to do what I could to stay popular this year but to no avail, which now I am very grateful for. Even though I didn't get to fully enjoy the amenities of a big city, after all I was only 10, I did miss a few things like the huge wave pool we took swimming lessons at, West Edmonton Mall, and just the overall sense of busyiness and opportunity the city had. Of course, that was greatly compensated by being amongst a close knit family and cousins for the first time ever. Other than on visits, we had never had holidays with more than just us 5 around the table. It was really nice to feel like I belonged to something bigger than myself.

30 years ago today (1977)
I was an almost 3 month old baby who had already lived in Winnipeg and Calgary. I was probably hugely relieved that my first winter would be in the Shinook country of Calgary instead of Winterpeg. I was the first born and son-hopeful, my first toys were a tow truck and a car. I was lucky not to be a boy, my name would have been Lowell Douglas. Someone gave me a hand-made crocheted baby blanket that is white and peach that I still have today, in order to pass on to any future children we may have, but right now it is on loan to my two adorable neices.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

I`m glad you moved back here twenty years ago! :)

~L~ said...

I am immensly glad we moved back here as well, because I've had the opportunity to make friends out of family!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...