Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Praise

PRAISE
Positive
Reinforcement by
Affirming
Individuals with
Support and
Encouragement

I just made that up but it sounds good :) To me, that's what praise is, finding ways to acknowledge the positives in people so as to build them up and hopefully encourage them to continue the actions that were praised.
Everyone needs praise and it's a highly motivating factor in our lives, but there is one key, it has to come from someone who's opinon we value. I'm not deeply encouraged when my neice tells me I'm smart, it's cute and it's nice to be looked up to, but it doesn't make me feel like I can join Mensa or anything. But when my husband tells me that he appreciates my advice, and he looks to me as somewhat of a guiding compass, now that means a lot to me, and it makes me put even more effort into how I respond to his requests for my opinion, so I can live up to his expectations.
Or, when the President of our Canadian company expressed his appreciation for all I did for him and the board of directors while they were here, and he commended us for our hard work and making them feel at home. Now, that not only sent me into a deep blush, but I feel like I have the honor of an even higher standard to live up to at work, not just in our office, but now in any office because our board is from all across Canada.
It's amazing what a little praise can do.
Imagine it on even a grander scale. What if something you did gained the attention of the media in Canada and next thing you know the most looked-up-to leader in the whole world is requesting a meeting with you to acknowledge and praise your efforts. Right now, that's Barack Obama. Can you imagine him seeking you out and wanting to encourage and support something you are doing? You may or may not feel worthy, but yet, this man runs one of the most powerful countries in the world, he is revered by hundreds of millions of people, he would not waste his time on something he didn't feel garnered his attention. Can you imagine what you could move on to accomplish after that kind of confidence boost?
Amazingly enough, there is someone out there who is also highly revered, and has taken a personal interest in you, in your abilities, in your potential. He had/has billions of followers, people who have made huge sacrifices for him, people who have died for him, but he still notices you. He knows you by name, he's made it his business to know EVERYTHING about you, he thinks you are amazing and sees such HUGE potential in you. He sees everything you've been, you are, and everything you are capable of being, and loves you regardless. Yes LOVES you!
I know, it's hard to believe when you haven't heard it from someone directly. So ask him. Ask Jesus to tell you how he feels about you. Just be sure to listen because he most surely will give you an answer.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

So true. Oh and I am glad to hear your hosting of directors went well! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...