Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Living Well Wednesdays - Seeing things in a new light....again


So last week, knowing Thanksgiving and a birthday celebrations were happening Friday, Saturday and Monday I restrained my calories and did all my exercise through the week, I had a great 'star' week in preparation, and so I did indulge myself but didn't gorge myself over the weekend. I missed out on exercise yesterday because my neck and back started getting very painful yesterday afternoon and so I ended up one pound this morning, but it's not getting me down. It's just one pound.

What is getting me down is a revelation from my doctor's appointment on Friday, a revelation that has been a few years in the making but nobody told me....I'm shrinking!! Last time anyone told me my height was years ago, I can't even remember that's how long it's been, but at that time I was just over 5'8 1/2", now I've been told I am 5'6 1/2"!! TWO INCHES!! That's a lot to learn about all at once but it's been on going for a little while because I checked out my driver's license photo taken last November and it was just under 5'7 1/2". So I've lost an inch in a year, and who knows how long it took me to lose that first inch. But I mean, people, hello! You can see the before and after measurement, why aren't you telling me I'm shrinking!!!! I've always identified myself as a tall person and so it's taking some getting used to but the worst realization was yet to come.

At the end of my doctor's appointment, when we were discussing my height and weight, he asked me if I was aware of what BMI (Body Mass Index) is, which I do, and so he told me with my 'new' height and current weight I was just under 30, which means it estimates the amount of body fat I have as making me obese!! In March when I thought I was 5'8 1/2", before I lost 25 lbs, my BMI was 30.5 and I would have agreed I was obese but not now! I'm confident enough in my body, now, that I know I am not obese, that is ridiculous, but that is what my BMI says I am! Just because I shrunk! I always thought the BMI was a little skewed since my old BMI said my weight should be 140-170, and last time I was 140 I was told I looked anorexic. Now the BMI says my weight should be 117-156....that is ridiculous as well! I am 186 right now, can you imagine what I would look like minus another 30 lbs? And that would be the MOST fat I should have on me! BMI is essentially saying I'm 30lbs over weight at my new height! I'm not going to go to that extreme.
The BMI does have a disclaimer for body builders, which I wouldn't classify myself as, but I am thinking I do about 60 minutes of weight lifting per week, at least, some of my 'extra' weight has got to be muscle. I'm actually pretty sure I've got some solid muscle on me, which makes me quite happy actually....that's a perspective I may not have realized had it not been for this enlightenment. Plus, I've always known I have a heavy bone mass because I've always looked less heavy than I really am, but they don't have any calculations for bone or muscle mass that I can use to get a more accurate BMI so it sucks my doctor is going to be preaching about BMI. I know I still need to lose about 17 lbs, I'm sticking to my original goal, and if I'm in a size 10-12 I will be very happy, but it's still a little disheartening to think my health is going to be judged on the fact I'll be 'overweight' if I'm over 156 lbs.

1 comment:

tammi said...

I hate that BMI index. I've never been tall, but I've always been heavier than I looked, too ~ supposedly due to my bone density. I don't know if it was designed to scare people into action or what, but by itself, I really think it's not a helpful tool at all. It gives absolutely no indication of overall health and wellness.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...