Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Living Well Wednesdays - Nothing Lost, Nothing Gained



Nothing lost, nothing gained this week. Exercised more, ate more this week. I’m tired of my own excuses. I think I need to put of all the realizations I’ve made in writing, on a huge poster, and put it in my kitchen. I’ve had some really good insights while blogging but for some reason it’s hard to put them into practice. Like ‘rely on God, not food’, or ‘don’t undermine my determination’. I thought I’d awakened myself to the pitfalls of my negotiating and doing this on my own steam, yet I’m still doing it.
Just something as simple as soda pop, I know that it’s a waste of calories, I would satisfy my thirst much better with water, water does a body good, soda does not, yet I’ve been craving it so I fit it into my allotted calories. And I’ve been slacking on veggies way too much. Fruit I’m much better with, I always have fruit for lunch, I intend to add some to breakfast everyday, and they are a great snack, but veggies, well, I have soy beans at lunch and maybe a few times a week I'll toss mushrooms into whatever I'm already making, or open a can of baby corn. I’m just so not interested in cooking after I come home from work, even with making it easier with the OAMC cooking I’ve picked up from Pam, it’s still takes to much energy to do a meat and pasta/rice/potato, never mind cook a vegetable yet. But I have a feeling if I added a veggie I wouldn’t be prone to snacking later in the evening. Anyone got any ideas of an easy way to add them?
And I really need to stop procrastinating on getting back to reading my Bible, I know drawing closer to God will make it easier to draw on his strength when I am weak. And lately at Church I have had heard passages read that I see in a new light and it makes me want to read, but when I'm at home I'm oblivious to those desires. First thing would be to unpack my Bible, plunk it down right where I spend most of my time and then it will be easier to be intentional about it.
So maybe I have gained something, the more I revisit these lessons the better I should get at it, right? Sometimes it's really hard being an imperfect perfectionist.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Hang in there dear one, you can do this.

tammi said...

Isn't it interesting how we kinda always KNOW what we're doing wrong, or where we need to improve and yet taking those steps are SO STINKIN' HARD??!!

I heard a saying once "If you want what you have not got, you must do what you have not done." And I guess that about sums it up! We've gotta be willing to do something that's hard if we want to see results and change our behaviours.

Start small, but resolve to change just one little thing about the way you eat. Even something like having a weekly menu planned out and getting some things ready ahead of time can make a huge difference in how you eat at mealtimes. And never underestimate the nutritional value of frozen veggies!! It only takes, like, 3 minutes to bring a small pot of cut green beans or peas or corn to a boil and suddenly you've added vitamins, fibre, and colour to your table! Or make casseroles that include veggies, like Shepherd's Pie, increasing the amount of veggies that are called for.

You can do it, Lori, but it WON'T be easy. And that's why you'll be so much more proud of yourself for succeeding.

Joanie said...

Lori ~

It was good to read your blog entry for Live Well this week. I have struggled in a similar way for way too many years. About three weeks ago, something just 'clicked' and I have found it easier to let go of sugar, but I'm still struggling with adding in more veggies. I start off each morning (after exercising) with a fruit smoothie (frozen fruit of choice, vanilla unsweetened almond milk, a banana, protein powder with some flax seed oil and coconut oil), enabling me to get my fruits in for the day. Lately, I've kept baby carrots, grapes, nuts and raisins on hand for snacking and I've kept "food temptations" off my shelves (I'm just too weak).

I, too, struggled with Bible reading on a regular basis at home ~ but recently I found www.oneyearbibleblog.com which has helped me tremendously. About 15 minutes of Bible reading each day and the writer shares some commentary about the passages. I've found it really helpful to break it into small pieces.

Hope this has encouraged you. Keep it up for God will be your strength to be victorious!

Anonymous said...

Keep cut up veggies in your fridge so that when you get home from work you can nibble on them while you're making supper. Often I only prepare a meat and starch for dinner because I munch on carrot sticks or broccoli and hummus or whatever while I'm making dinner. (I have a great recipe for hummus without the olive oil if you're interested-it's healthy, high in fibre and really yummy)
Bonus; I'm not starving by the time dinner's ready so I enjoy it more and am less inclined to overeat.

-the original Lori

Pamela said...

You are doing so well ... keep going! You can do it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...