Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Things I want my children to know" Thursday

I've been focusing a lot lately on balancing the need for self-improvement and loving myself the way I am. I really want my children to love themselves the way God made them. It's taken me a long time to stop comparing myself, wishing I had a feature/characteristic someone else had, and I hope to instill a sense of self-appreciation in my children from the start. God has a plan for us, so He has made us to certain specifications so we can carry out that purpose.
However, we are also humans, who mess up, who get hurt and create unhealthy coping devices, who hold onto baggage, and so there will most definately be times in my children's lives where they will need to go on a quest for self-improvement, in order to be healthy physically, emotionally, spiritually, and/or intellectually. But even if that weren't the case, it is okay to aim for better, and want to improve ones self just to be a better person, just as long as they don't start to see themselves as less than because they aspire for better.
I made so many bad choices because I didn't have a lot of self-worth, which caused me to allow myself to slip into very unhealthy mindsets, and so one of my biggest hopes is that I can build a strong foundation of self-worth in my children. It's one thing to know you are loved, but it's also important to know why.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...