Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Geek's Guide to God's Word


Ok, I know I'm a bit of a geek, and I search different interpretations and synonyms for things I'm reading, just for fun, but I would highly recommended applying this to Bible Verses.

I LOVE Love LOVE Biblegateway.com's passage look up, you can search any book, chapter, verse, in whatever version you wish! Well I often will check out other versions to try and get a wider paradigm of the meaning of the verse. Reading The Message version actually inspired me to try something new last night as well, I also decided to look up in the thesaurus the key words in this verse, or those that seemed a little vague or ambiguous, especially to people not familiar with Christian-ese. I tried it with one of my favorite verses (a favorite actually because it's one of my fav worship songs) Psalm 51:10-13 and MAN! did it really bring the words to life, it really gave so much more meaning to to a verse that had meant more to me emotionally than intellectually.

I loved what I was discovering so much that I actually wrote it out and have made it a personal prayer. I'm printing out copies, posting as my laptop background, putting it all around me. I just love it, and it's become so powerful to me, all because I found synonymous words that meant more to me. I can't wait to try it some more verses, but for the time being I thought I'd share my take on Psalm 51:10-13.

Cleanse my blemished heart and make it gleam, as only you can FatherAnd renew in me a spirit of faith and perseverance
Please do not abandon me to my darkness, away from your light
Or take away from me your Comforter and Counsellor
Restore the joy I had when my life was first spared by you
Sustain my strength and zealous spirit
Then I can share your truth with those who are lost
Make me a beacon of your light to guide them back to you

Amen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...