Saturday, January 23, 2010

WOW - Words of Wisdom

Where I used to work, our HR team (my team and a wonderful group of people) were optimistic believers, they wanted to instigate inspiration, be a catalyst for change, an idealistic bunch who believed the best. It was just a call center but we tried to change the world we had access to. One of my co-workers, and still a dear friend to this day, was especially full of encouragement and he developed a weekly email called WOW - Words of Wisdom, where he would share quotes that he hoped would be that inspiration and catalyst. Many of them I took to heart, and still to this day I am a collector of quotes, sayings, advice that have had a hand in shaping me, inspiring me, motivating me. Figured I'd share a few:

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.
-- Albert Einstein


I must have been a little mentally unhealthy to think my health would just take care of itself the way it did when I was young, that being 'young' in the eyes of the world meant my health could still be taken for granted. But I got a rude awakening and this quote has become a good motivator for being healthy, I can't expect health to just happen to me, it's a life style, not a state of being.

Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
-- Albert Einstein

It's not only the beauty of His creation that points to His existence, the truth of biology, chemistry, physics, etc. proclaim His glory. Even the stones cry out His name. A genuine search for truth will lead to truth.

Anything worth having is worth fighting for.
--Thomas Jefferson

This has been a favorite for awhile, kind of along the lines of good things come to those that wait, but it's more pro-active than reactive, and even though waiting isn't always easy, somthings require you to act instead of being passive. And it's been my husband's and my quote almost from day one.

Do everything in LOVE. -- 1 Corinthians 16:14
Love covers all wrongs. -- Proverbs 10:12

I've always been the forgiving kind, I have more tolerance for things than some, loving people comes easily to me, but I made a connection that my judgemental attitude of the few I found hard to love, or even strangers, was in a way is unforgiving, holding something against people. Then a sermon last year changed my perspective. It is only by the power of God's love that I am not making the mistakes I'm judging in others, I have no right to judge when I could be in a worse position were I seperated from God's love. It brought new meaning to me, "love covers all wrongs", which made it easier to love people in all circumstances. Now I can have more loving interactions with people, make more loving choices....do everything in love.

The task ahead of us is never as great as the Power behind us.
-- unknown


Ever since I was little I was somewhat scared God might ask me to be a missionary, or some other responsibility that was equally as scary to me. That anxiousness disappeared a long time ago, however a few years ago a new worry took it's place, that He would not give me the responsibilities I wanted. Now I know, He doesn't give me any more than I can handle, He has placed a passion for my purpose within me because He created me, and whatever it is, it will be Him working through me, the task will never be just up to me, I am only the tool with which He works.

Every man is guilty of all the good he didn’t do.
-- Voltaire

Just a striking remember, it's not about how good I am 'on the whole', 'on average', but any opportunity I waste that God has given me to do something counts for something too.

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
-- Japanese Proverb

A great reminder to not be so self-concious....I need lots of those.

Be who you are and say how you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
-- Dr. Suess

I've always wanted to take this more to heart, I have always cared too much about what people think of me, but haven't been able to quite get it through my thick head. I read this advice today that helped it sink in just a little deeper, "Don't take anything personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality." Don Miguel Ruiz

Never separate the life you live from the words you speak.
-- Paul Wellstone

While I saw the other piece of advice above, I saw another one from Don Miguel Ruiz, "Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean." It reminded me of this quote, an important reminder that my actions speak louder than words, I don't just want to be genuine, I want to show I really believe what I'm saying, I don't want any hint of duality in my life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...